A Classic FM Album of the Week!
This fine collection of arguably the Greatest Film Music ever written brings together on one album music from some of the most memorable films ever made.
Opening with the unforgettable music from the ground-breaking 1977 movie ‘Star Wars’ by the greatest living composer of film music, John Williams, this selection includes a unique 14-minute concert suite of music from the film.
Other Williams scores for Stephen Spielberg blockbusters include those for the unforgettable fantasy ‘E.T. – The Extra-Terrestrial’ and the haunting science fiction ‘Close Encounters of the Third Kind’.
This album also looks back to the heyday of Hollywood, with scores by Max Steiner – from ‘Gone With the Wind’ – and the undisputed Master of the genre, Erich Wolfgang Korngold, with music from ‘The Adventures of Robin Hood’ and the weepie ‘Escape Me Never’.
The hit theme from ‘The Big Country’ by Jerome Moross is also here, and British music from legendary U.K. movies widens the scope of this unique collection, with two great film scores by Sir William Walton – ‘Henry V’, starring Laurence Olivier, and ‘The First of the Few’ – the famous ‘Spitfire Prelude and Fugue’ – as well as the great Ron Goodwin’s memorable ‘633 Squadron’ alongside music from two Soviet composers: Prokofiev’s score for ‘Alexander Nevsky’ and Aram Khachaturian’s famous ‘Adagio from Spartacus’, featured in the romantic historical drama ‘Mayerling’.
All in all, this SOMM disc should form part of any collection, conducted by the great Scottish-born Maestro Iain Sutherland, directing the Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra of Hilversum.
On This Recording
John Williams: Star Wars
- Main Title
- Princess Leia's Theme
- End Title Max Steiner: Gone with the Wind
- Tara's Theme Erich Wolfgang Korngold: The Adventures of Robin Hood
- March William Walton: Henry V
- Charge - Battle - Chant d'Auvergne John Williams: E.T.
- Main Title Erich Wolfgang Korngold: Escape Me Never
- Prelude Ron Goodwin: 633 Squadron
- Title Music Francis Lai: Love Story (arr. Raymond Jones)
- Love Theme Jerome Moross: The Big Country
- Prelude Sergei Prokofiev: Alexander Nevsky
- The Battle of the Ice John Williams: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (arr. Sutherland)
- Main Theme and symphonic scenes Aram Khachaturian: Mayerling
- Adagio [from Spartacus] William Walton: The First of the Few
- Spitfire Prelude
- Spitfire Fugue
“Expertly recorded by conductor Iain Sutherland and the Philharmonic Concert Orchestra, Great Classic Film Music captures the magic of cinema through the music we know and love.” —John Suchet, Classic FM Album of the Week!