Following his acclaimed recordings for SOMM of piano works by Castelnuovo_Tedesco (SOMMCD 032), Ivor Gurney and Howard Ferguson (SOMMCD 038), Mark Bebbington continues his series of British piano music with Volume 1 of a three-CD set of the complete piano music of Frank Bridge.
This first CD includes the Sonata (1921-24) in its first recording for 15 years – a work which is pivotal, both in British music and in Bridge’s own stylistic evolution.
Mark Bebbington – Piano
Bebbington performed the Sonata in March 2006 as part of his British Piano Sonata series at St. John’s Smith square.
“… what can only be described as a magnificent performance … one of the finest accounts this towering work has received. in terms of imaginative programming -persuasively and, at times, masterfully realised – they (the audience) will hear nothing finer in London all this year.”
On This Recording
- Capriccio: Capriccio No. 1 in A Minor
- 3 Sketches: No. 1. April
- 3 Sketches: No. 2. Rosemary
- 3 Sketches: No. 3. Valse capricieuse
- Capriccio: Capriccio No. 2 in F-Sharp Minor
- The Hour Glass: I. Dusk
- The Hour Glass: II. The Dew Fairy
- The Hour Glass: III. The Midnight Tide
- 4 Pieces: No. 1. Carmelita
- 4 Pieces: No. 2. Niccollette
- 4 Pieces: No. 3. Zoraida
- 4 Pieces: No. 4. En fete
- Piano Sonata: I. Lento ma non troppo – Andante ben moderato – Allegro energico
- Piano Sonata: II. Andante ben moderato
- Piano Sonata: III. Lento – Allegro ma non troppo