All recorded 10 November 1946 – Previously unissued.
The recording of this concert is an historic document in that it is the earliest known of the RPO and shows it with its first set of players.
SIR THOMAS BEECHAM, Bart., C.H.
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Moura Lympany – Piano.
This CD is based on a concert which took place at the Davis Theatre, Croydon, South London on 10th November 1946. It contains some of Sir Thomas’s “favourites” — Mendelssohn’s Overture to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Wagner’s Prelude to Act III “Die Meistersinger”, Mozart’s Symphony No.40 in G minor,and Schumann’s Piano Concerto in A minor with Moura Lympany.
Released in collaboration with the Sir Thomas Beecham Trust in support of the Scholarship Fund.
On This Recording
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream: A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture, Op. 21, MWV P3
- Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg: Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (The Mastersingers of Nuremberg), Act III: Prelude
- Symphony No. 40: I. Molto Allegro
- Symphony No. 40: II. Andante
- Symphony No. 40: III. Menuetto
- Symphony No. 40: IV. Allegro assai
- Piano Concerto: I. Allegro affettuoso
- Piano Concerto: II. Intermezzo: Andantino grazioso
- Piano Concerto: III. Allegro vivace