“It’s a mandatory purchase for all lovers of Vaughan Williams’s music and, frankly, a priceless document.” John Quinn
BBC Radio 3 Critics Disc of the Year
Gramophone Best of Category – Historic Archive
Premier CD Release recorded off the air during a Prom Concert at the Royal Albert Hall in 1952. Dona Nobis Pacem recording by BBC of first broadcast performance at BBC Studios in 1936. ‘As a composer performer Vaughan Williams took the creative process a step further than the printed score and presented his work in its natural medium, that of sound’.
London Philharmonic Orchestra, Conducted by Vaughan Williams(1952).
BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Renee Flynn(Soprano), Roy Henderson(Baritone), Conducted by Vaughan Williams(1936).
Included in BBC Radio 3 CD review’s shortlist — Listeners’ Choice 2007. “A very special and intensely moving performance of the 5th Symphony conducted by the composer”. CD Review — BBC Radio 3.
Right-click HERE to download the text of Dona Nobis Pacem.
On This Recording
- Symphony No. 5: I. Preludio: Moderato – Allegro – Tempo I
- Symphony No. 5: II. Scherzo: Presto misterioso
- Symphony No. 5: III. Romanza: Lento
- Symphony No. 5: IV. Passacaglia: Moderato
- Dona Nobis Pacem: Agnus Dei
- Dona Nobis Pacem: Beat! Beat! Drums!
- Dona Nobis Pacem: Reconciliation
- Dona Nobis Pacem: Dirge for 2 Veterans
- Dona Nobis Pacem: The Angel of Death has been aboard
- Dona Nobis Pacem: We Look for Peace