SOMM-BEECHAM 11 – “Exhilarating Beethoven and inspirational Beecham – an unmissable partnership” is how the Gramophone magazine describes this version of the Mass recorded live at the 1937 Leeds Festival. which is the earliest version on disc. Both chorus and soloists are in fine form and Beecham himself is at the height of his appreciable powers.
SIR THOMAS BEECHAM, Bart., C.H.
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Leeds Festival Chorus
Isobel Baillie, soprano • Mary Jarred, contralto • Heddle Nash, tenor • Keith Falkner, baritone
Released in collaboration with the Sir Thomas Beecham Trust in support of the Scholarship Fund.
On This Recording
- Mass: Kyrie
- Mass: Gloria: Gloria in excelsis Deo
- Mass: Gloria: Qui tollis
- Mass: Gloria: Quoniam
- Mass: Credo: Credo in unum Deum
- Mass: Credo: Et incarnatus est
- Mass: Credo: Et resurrexit
- Mass: Sanctus: Sanctus
- Mass: Sanctus: Benedictus
- Mass: Agnus Dei: Agnus Dei
- Mass: Agnus Dei: Dona nobis pacem