A delicious and timely release from SOMM in celebration of London and its eternal magic, in spite of the weather! This hugely entertaining compilation comes from Conductor Iain Sutherland’s ‘live’ radio transmissions of British Light Music with his Philharmonic Concert Orchestra collected over four decades. These are all outstandingly performed and conducted by Iain Sutherland and are part of his Radio Clyde Archive, now made available to SOMM.
For over four decades Iain conducted the BBC’s Light Orchestras (BBC Radio Orchestra, London, BBC Concert Orchestra and BBC Scottish Radio Orchestra. He was also Principal Guest Conductor of both the City of Glasgow Philharmonic Orchestra and National Symphony Orchestra of Scotland in programmes like Melodies for You, Invitation to Music, Music while you Work, Friday Night is Music Night and the International Festival of Light Music.
The disc contains a beguiling mix of eternal favourites which will captivate those who know and love London as well as those who have been lucky enough to savour its unique atmosphere and visit its famous landmarks, including Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and Buckingham Palace or spent the day lazing down the Thames ending with a visit to one of the old beautiful theatres in Piccadilly, in the heart of London.
London has inspired composers and artists of all kinds, in good times and in bad. Its musical theatre has produced many immortal shows, Noel Gay’s Me And My Girl, and the great musical My Fair Lady, set in Covent Garden with the unforgettable music of Frederick Lowe and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner. Favourites such as Clive Richardson’s London Fantasia for piano and orchestra, inspired by the London ‘Blitz’ Robert Farnon’s Westminster Waltz (Big Ben) or Wally Stott’s Rotten Row (Hyde Park) and others, are all here, making this an unforgettable musical journey through London and its historic sights. Enjoy!
On This Recording
- Me and My Girl: Me and My Girl: The Lambeth Walk (arr. I. Sutherland for orchestra)
- London Suite: London Suite, “London Everyday”: III. Knightsbridge: March
- The Westminster Waltz
- Rotten Row
- London Suite: London Suite, “London Everyday”: I. Covent Garden: Tarantelle
- The Yeomen of the Guard: The Yeomen of the Guard: Overture
- London Fantasia
- My Fair Lady: My Fair Lady: Get Me to the Church on Time
- Fantasia on Greensleeves: Fantasia on Greensleeves (arr. R. Greaves for orchestra)
- Merrie England
- London Bridge Is Falling Down
- Elizabethan Serenade
- Water Music: Suite No. 2: Water Music: Suite No. 2 in D Major, HWV 349: I. Prelude
- 3 English Dances: 3 English Dances, Op. 11
- The Sea Hawk: The Sea Hawk: Main Title